Thursday 9 July 2015

Poetic Archaeology and Jokiniemi 2015 day 13/22

First of all I would like to say I´m sorry about the rather short entries here. The fact is that after some three years of lack of work I suddenly find myself in a completely different situation. Now I´m conducting a one month community archaeology dig on a neolithic site, while during evenings making sense of a rather large WW2 conflict archaeology project in Hanko S Finland.

Heer "Urlauber" about to embark on a Finnish train that will take them to Hanko Finland.

Until the end of december 2015 I will be working full time with my conflict archaeology project for "Poetic Archaeology" . The project is about documenting "Deutsches Lager Hanko", a large German WW2 transition camp in S Finland. The work is part of my doctoral dissertation on the German camp.

Cover of a German troop carrier log book from 1941-1942.

Our "Poetic" team including Jan Martti Kaila and Japo Knuuttila are at the same time embarking on a long and sad road trip, visiting different German WW2 camps in Europe in a couple of weeks. Iwill be posting photographs of their journey here as I get them. At the same time I´m researching the long lost sad stories of the "Urlauber" of the Eismeerfront.

Majdanek

At the same time the Jokiniemi dig is into it´s last week, the finds are accumulating rapidly and I have a gut feeling that something very big is coming up soon, maybe even tomorrow  :).

Community archaeology is for everyone regardless of age :)

As are the nice neolithic potsherds...

Bingo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.